Sunday, January 2, 2011

Maybe Being Shorthanded At Work Isn't So Bad

We've been without the (ex)Worthless Co-Worker for a little over two months now. The first month wasn't so hard to deal with, but the month of December sucked. Now that the Christmas shopping season is over this shorthanded gig is much more tolerable. While we still work two 12 hour days per week we at least get two days off per week. I think I only had two days off total in December.

The boss actually interviewed two people last week and seemed impressed with one of them. The first guy didn't stand a chance though and he was the only one I actually saw. Two things seemed to sink his chances. One being his age, he is older than the boss, which for some reason bothers the boss. The other is that the boss feels he'd be too much like me. I actually found that amusing. Apparently I'm not very "bossable" and the boss needs someone he can boss around.

The 2nd guy he liked. A young guy fresh out of college who is apparently very "bossable." I believe this guy will go through a phone interview with the district manager tomorrow and if he impresses him he'll get a job offer. It sounds like he can start mid January, so hopefully when February rolls around he'll be fully trained and we'll be back to a normal work schedule.

But as far as January goes, being shorthanded isn't necessarily a bad thing.

For you see January is a cold month.

My son and I like to fish. Actually I like to fish, my son is a fishing fanatic. A few years ago he embraced ice fishing, me, not so much. I resisted any and all attempts he made into talking me into ice fishing until last January. I only gave in then because the prior Christmas his gifts to me were all ice fishing equipment and his persistence had to be rewarded.

Now the kid had everything you could possibly need for ice fishing. A two-man shanty, a heater, more than enough fishing equipment, etc. My thought, at the time, was a heated shanty would probably be tolerable so we went fishing on a Saturday last January that I had off of work. Our work schedules don't mesh well for things like this. He has weekends off all the time, I usually have one weekend off a month.

But he was excited. He finally had talked the "old man" into ice fishing.

So the day we went ice fishing was cold. Cold as in 22 'effin degrees below zero. Needless to say dressing warmly was in order. And dressed warmly I was. We hauled all this crap out to this great fishing spot he had found.

Have I mentioned it was cold out?

I was freezing by the time we got to this hot fishing spot. I was still on board though and pretending to be a good trooper. I just knew once we got the shanty set up and the heater working I'd be warming up in no time at all. Yeah, not so much. That heater might have raised the temperature inside the shanty to 5 degrees below zero. I was miserable. That heater was basically useless.

By the time I got home I couldn't feel my toes, nor my hands. I literally cried with pain as I ran my hands under warm water to get what I suspect were frozen blood vessels flowing again.

The next day I went out and bought another heater for the kid for his igloo on sled rails. I did go one other time with him in February last year as well. The only difference was the temperature outside was almost 30 degrees above zero and we now had two heaters for the ice shanty. Much better experience, but ice fishing still isn't something I'm crazy about.

So now we're into January again, as in the coldest month of the year. And as you've probably guessed the kid wants to drag my ass out ice fishing again. He has compelling arguments, at least in his own mind. A new ice fishing shanty and a new heater which he guarantees will drive us out into the cold to cool off it works so well.

My reply to him was "It's a shame we're still shorthanded at work son. I don't foresee a weekend off until mid February." As I uttered those words I tried my best to look extremely sad. I'm not sure he bought into my act though. But I know I'm going to stay warm this January.

12 comments:

BB said...

This makes me think of Grumpy Old Men watching them drink beer and sit in their shanty. Too cold for my liking. I used to trout fish a lot but only in streams. Not one to just sit and wait for a bite. Great post. Somehow I think your son is more interested in your company!!! Great post!

ChiTown Girl said...

I think you should get the Father of the Year award for going even once!!! We all know I'm part penguin, but hell, even I would NEVER attempt ice fishing. Come to think of it, I would never attempt 'regular' fishing. They both are high on my 'ick' list!

Gail said...

I have never ice fished and after your delightful story, I doubt that I will.

Sara Strand said...

I hate the snow AND the cold, but I'd take snow over cold if I had to choose. There is no way you'd see me ice fishing. I'm putting off sledding with my kids this year because I know I will hate it and we'll be done in 30 minutes tops.

Dazee Dreamer said...

I have never understood the whole ice fishing thing. guys that do it are just a little bit wrong. I'm with you. Too cold, fish are probably down there glad that it is winter and they have a chance of living when bam, they're caught. poor fish

Anonymous said...

Have never understood the lure of ice-fishing ... nor any fishing for that matter! Have taken my son fishing but once, and it thoroughly scarred his sisters for life.

Cheers to staying warm!

JustRex said...

I believe the problem is that you didn't employ enough antifreeze during the process. From what I have been able to ascertain, ice fishing isn't so much about fishing as it is about male bonding and the intake of cold-reducing liquids. Hot coffee liberally laced with a good scotch will make the fishing more enjoyable.

Sandra said...

haha! I can just picture your attempt to appear sincere while trying to escape more fishing.

The Reckmonster said...

Memo to JPT: When it's 22 effing degrees below zero, you keep your ass INSIDE. =) Reason number 6,378 I cannot ever live above the Mason-Dixon line ever again. I'll just be a lonesome yankee in the south. But, you do get major cool dad points for humoring your son with the whole ice fishing escapade. I just hope you stay short staffed until spring. =) (and I mean that in the most sincere possible way!)

SY said...

wow.. working long shifts versus fishing.. It would be easier if it wasn't cold I suppose but I know nothing about fishing

Just Plain Tired said...

Bouncin' Barb -- I enjoy fishing from the boat in much warmer weather myself.

ChiTown Girl -- I don't think I'm anywhere near qualified as Father of the year material.

Gail -- Never say never, because I used to say the same thing about ice fishing. ;)

Smart Ass Sara -- I'm not a fan of winter/cold myself.

Dazee Dreamer -- When I was a kid I liked ice fishing. Now as an adult I'm too fond of staying warm to enjoy it.

Another Day of Crazy -- Huh, my daughter likes to fish, without being scarred I'm sure. But now I'm thinking about asking her about it. ;)

darev2005 -- You're probably right about the drinking. I've just never been much of a drinker myself.

Sandra -- Total failure on my part there. The kid knows me too well.

Reckmonster -- I'm all for keeping warm this time of year. I've even contemplated moving a bit further south every winter.

SY -- It's kind of a tossup here. ;)

Mrs Midnite said...

Ice fishing??? I see nothing good about the phrase! Sounds cold, please JPT don't freeze you need those fingers for blogging.