Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Things At Work Are Looking Up

After yesterday's post this update will seem anti-climatic, at least in my opinion.

The payroll situation was actually resolved before I went to work. The boss once again surprised me and impressed me. After he got off the phone with me he called his boss about the situation, who then called his boss in the corporate office to get to the bottom of the 10 day old missing paycheck.

This regional vice-president then investigated, in stealth mode apparently. She checked the outgoing mail from the payroll department for the day and lo and behold there was a paycheck located in the stack with my home address in it. (The very same paycheck that the payroll clerk told me and my boss was mailed December 23rd.)

She then pulled the payroll check from the stack, took it to her assistant with orders to have it sent overnight by UPS to our store location to ensure that I'd have my now 11 day old paycheck in hand later today.

She then proceeded to confront the payroll clerk about the situation and the payroll clerk lied to her as well stating that the paycheck had been mailed December 23rd. Apparently this didn't go over well and the payroll clerk is in hot water now. (I'm assuming she may have been fired, but as the boss and I are low on the totem pole we were just simply told the problem has been fixed.)

I received a call from the regional vice-president yesterday afternoon at work and she apologized to me for the oversight and ensured me that this wouldn't happen again. She was very nice, and seemed genuinely distraught about this situation.

When I got off the phone with her, and the boss and I were talking, his boss called and talked to me. I like this guy and I've known him for about 5 years longer than my boss has. We've always gotten along well. He let me in a something I wasn't even aware of, nor something I'd never even thought about.

In the approximately nine years I've worked for the company I've never missed a yearly sales goal. This I knew naturally. I've missed an occasional monthly sales goal though over the years. What I didn't know was that in 2009, the worst year in retail in recent history, I was in the top 15 in sales company wide. Out of approximately 3500 salespeople nationwide there were less than 40 salespeople who exceeded their yearly sales goal. I pretty much thought 2009 sucked myself and I barely made goal that year coming in at 107% to goal. (I had to look that up after the call.) Apparently they want to keep me around for awhile, which is nice, because I really do like my job.

So this problem is resolved, unless I don't receive the check today.

The other reason things are looking up at work is that we've finally hired someone contingent on them passing a background check, which should happen. He'll be starting on January 24th so I'm thinking by early February he'll be fully trained and work hours will get back to normal.

So overall, not a bad day after all.

14 comments:

Gail said...

...we shall see what the next day holds.

If all went well, how would you entertain us??

ChiTown Girl said...

Wow, congrats on being such a valuable employee. I think it would have been even nicer if there was some sort of bonus attached. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with CTG... a bonus should definitely be in order! As well as interest on the missing check. Doesn't the company offer direct deposit?

Sarahf said...

Congratulations! It's nice to be appreciated, isn't it? Although I agree with CTG, bonus needed. Is it bad that I'm hoping the new Co-Worker will be worthless?

KLZ said...

See? People know you're invaluable.

I mean, I'd hate to lose you for the ranting alone and you don't even sell anything for me.

Dazee Dreamer said...

I'm really hoping that deep down, the new guy will have some "issues" that they don't find on the background check and we have some good moments on here. What? You know this is how I am

JustRex said...

One month years ago when I was in the Army I didn't receive my paycheck when everyone else in my unit did. I was some sort of computer snafu. They happen. I went to finance and they said they were sorry, but it would take two weeks to get it straightened out. I was a bit miffed about that, but I kept my cool. Apparently they thought I was going to throw a fit because they sent out a Captain to tell me I wasn't going to get paid for an additional two weeks. I thought about getting mad but knew it wouldn't do any good. So instead I took a deep breath, let it out and said "So Cap. Could you loan me fifty bucks until I get paid?" Pretty much as a joke. To my infinite surprise, he pulled out his wallet and gave me fifty bucks right then and there. I returned it to him personally two weeks later with a nice thank you card. I could work for a person with a heart like that.

BB said...

I thought you were going to say that the big boss told you that you were getting a bonus for exceeding your yearly sales goal 9 years in a row. That deserves something a little more than a phone call. If not a $$ bonus, how about a written commendation so that you can have it for future references or resumes? Glad your paycheck was found though. This is certainly good news.

Liz Mays said...

You're a born salesman! That's fantastic and I'm so glad your paycheck is on its way.

The Reckmonster said...

I'm sorry to jump on the "direct deposit" bandwagon, JPT - but DA-YUMMM! It's 2011, man! And somehow, it's no surprise that you excel at work...I'd never consistently read the blog of a "sub par" twit. =)

Just Plain Tired said...

Okay guys...back home after a 12 hour day...with a paycheck in hand.

They actually pay me pretty well and I receive a lot of bonus checks in all honesty for meeting and exceeding sales goals.

I'm still undecided on the direct deposit thing.

Thanks for the nice comments, and stuff.

Anita said...

Just when I was getting ready to ask when you can retire, you said you really do like your job.

Good for you!

And good that help is on the way. Here's to hoping the new person will make a positive difference.

gaijinwife said...

ahhh, warm fuzzies.
Glad you got your dosh, glad silly paycheck woman got an earful or better, and congratulations on being so god damn good at what you do. What a positive way to start the year :)

Jessica B said...

Once again, I copy what CTG said. Congrats JPT -- you def deserve a bonus/raise!! :)