Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Boss Is Too Nice Of A Guy

As stated in a previous post the Worthless Co-Worker is still employed.

(Going here will bring you up to speed on the latest idiocy involving her.)

What's surprising is that no discipline, as in a written warning, was issued. While I personally didn't want to see the silly girl fired, he's making a mistake here in not doling out a disciplinary report. I think this is going to come back and bite him in the ass, which is a shame, because of him being too nice.

He apparently elicited promises from her to improve her attitude, no more whining, and to be on time for work. None of which are likely to happen of course. I had to work with her yesterday and while I have no idea if she opened the store on time, there's no attitude change and the usual amount of whining rang throughout the store.

Sadly he should know better. This girl never hesitates to throw anyone under the bus when she gets in trouble. She takes absolutely no responsibility for her actions. I can't count the number of times when he has an issue with her that she tries to pull me into the mess to try to get me in trouble. As a matter of fact it's every 'effin time. Her defense is always "Well, Just Plain Tired did this, or didn't do that", trying to deflect trouble away from herself on to me. (To the boss man's credit he has always seen through this ploy.)

This came to a head yesterday though. All her whining about what I get away with, and what she doesn't get away with, set me off. This was explained clearly to her. Naturally not by the boss though, and she ended up crying because she "didn't realize what an asshole I could be", in her words. In a nutshell I explained the difference between an asset in the workplace versus dead weight in the workplace.

So what happened after that?

The boss let her go home early because he felt sorry for her. Was he mad at me? No. He just thought I might have been a little harsh on her and didn't want her moping around the store the rest of the day.

Now I like the guy, but WTF.

Normally I don't get involved with disciplinary actions involving other employees but I had to ask him what was he thinking by not, at the very least, writing her up. His reasoning was "You know she's doing the testing to get the next promotional raise, and it's a significant raise. If I write her up the company policy states no advancement, or raises, for anyone who has a written warning in the last six months."

My next question was "Do you honestly think she deserves a raise or advancement?"

His reply, "Of course not, but I feel sorry for her, she's always broke you know."

Of course she always broke. She's a moron when it comes to finances. She just filed bankruptcy last spring, getting rid of all her debts, and is still broke. She has champaign taste, with a beer budget. You could triple her salary and she'd still be broke. She bought eight pair of shoes last week and her latest whining involves wondering if she has enough gas in her car to get to work between now and Friday, which is payday. Suggesting that perhaps a pair, or three, of those shoes should be returned elicited this response from her:

"No way, I deserve them shoes, and I'd never be able to decide which ones to take back anyway. I just love them all." (Sadly this is true, scout's honor, no shit, etc....)

What the boss doesn't realize is that the next time she screws up, and he finally has to discipline her, he's going to be the one who's going to be in trouble. There's no doubt in my mind that she'll throw him under the bus with his boss, because he let this incident slide. He just doesn't get it.

20 comments:

Jane said...

I'll bet you dread going into work with this kind of garbage going on daily. Kudos to you for hanging in there!

Jane

JY69 said...

That's tough. But there seems to be one in every workplace don't you think? Especially here in JP where it's pretty darn hard to get fired... so even if you are only a partially living ameoba, you can manage to hold a job here!

jeanlivingsimple said...

Why aren't you the Manager?

Gail said...

I am sure your work place is a joy to be in each and every day.

gaijinwife said...

That was a good post but the WTF cracked me up. The actual usage of the W the T and the F. Seemed so out of place :p You realize now that she WILL get promoted. The silly cow. She needs to be whipped round the side of the head with a pair of those shoes. Fortunately for me I live a beer lifestyle on a beer salary. Also fortunate for me is that I like beer. nearly the weekend - is your hand in any state to play golf or?

Just Plain Tired said...

Jane -- I don't dread going to work at all. I do my job very well and for the most part ignore WCW. Things just came to a head yesterday.

JY -- I think every work place has at least one person who barely skates by. WCW hardly does that though.

Jean -- Because I have no desire to be. I worked in the steel industry for 21 years, 17 of which were in supervision. I have no desire for the headaches any more. I've turned down the manager position here twice actually in the 7 years I've been here.

Gail -- Well, it can be. Usually WCW is just someone who mildly irritates me, and occasionally amuses me. The amusing me part is just waning as of late.

gaijinwife -- It's less of an actual promotion and more of a raise. And my hand is back to normal so golf is back into the realm of possibilities again. ;)

Charlene said...

I thought the boss owned the store but geezeopete what a boobguy. He's working for some big corporation and he's not documenting employee misconduct!?!?!

The very least that will happen is she finally quits without notice and draws unemployment because he doesn't have record of misconduct. The very most is this happens and he's fired for not doing his job.

Just Plain Tired said...

ChiTown Girl -- Yeah I've got to get back to the "light and fluffy" posts sometime soon. The manager is very naive when dealing with her. She is going to get him in trouble some day.

Charlene -- I actually expect her to simply not show up some day. She's that type of person. Plus her imaginary b/f is back in the states and she's itching to travel half way across the country to see him. She has no vacation time coming so she'll just go without a word.

Dazee Dreamer said...

omg. what is up with bosses like that. don't even get me going on scaryman and all he gets away with at work. he is going to be lucky if I don't beat the crap out of him today. speaking of today, he came in, promptly sat at his desk and let out the biggest fart. who the hell raised him?

KLZ said...

I blame advertising. Making everyone think they "deserve" things when really....they really, really don't.

Sandra said...

Wow...he totally doesn't get it. I'm dumbfounded...and again, wouldn't it just be easy to be honest with the worthless girl? Mind you, you've tried and it got her an afternoon off. Well, we can always go back to the old adage of "everyone gets their come-uppance"...who knows how true that is either...

Liz Mays said...

In these economic times, you'd think he'd take a much more cavalier attitude. Go figure..the guy's got a bolt loose, but he has heart.

I hope she doesn't take him down before he learns how to be ruthless!

Just Plain Tired said...

Dazee Dreamer -- He's just too nice to be in a supervisory position.

KLZ -- Oh yeah, advertisers are always spouting off about how you deserve something.

Sandra -- As I've stated before, she won't be here forever, hopefully she doesn't take him down with her when she goes.

blueviolet -- Same here.

JustRex said...

I really hope that doesn't come back to bite him in the a*s. Unfortunately, the idiots rarely suffer for their stupidity. It's always the bystanders who get hit with the shrapnel. Politicians call this phenomenon "collateral damage." You may have to start wearing a flak vest to work.

Just Plain Tired said...

darev2005 -- I'm debating between the flak vest and teflon. ;)

BeMistified said...

OMG! I give you props for not murdalizing her! I could not tolerate this at all. Who cares if she is broke? It's her own damn fault! Ugh I am beyond frustrated with this person, and all I do is read about her! Haha! :P

Sara Strand said...

Yup- same thing happened in my old job. And guess what? My boss, the one who tried to "retrain" problem employee was fired. We all saw it coming because if you don't treat these people like toddlers they will throw you under the bus. The same employee was there when I left and I left because I realized that the policy was going to let employee do whatever and we'll just ignore it because it's easier than firing someone. *sigh*

Sam said...

I'm curious-how long exactly has WCW been your WCW?
You know what you should do-take the Manager's position for a week (or even less)-just long enough to write her up 10 or 15 times-and then brutally fire her. When you're done doing that give up the position. Eh? Eh? I mean come on- that would be enough blogging material to last you for a good long while. ;)

Ileana said...

I thought you were the lenient one...but apparently, nice guys have their limits, too. I'm glad you set her straight, not that it'll help (according to what you've written here). I think the boss enjoys the little bit of drama. I worked at a place where the manager kept an employee around just because she entertained him. Sounds like this could be the case here.

Sarahf said...

I don't know how you don't just throw things at her. I love my shoes too, but basic necessities come first. Here's hoping she'll decide working is "too hard" soon and leave you to get on with your work. Hope you get some good golfing in this weekend to ease your frayed nerves.