Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blogger Etiquette, Not My Strong Suit Yet

Today's post has to do with a question on blogger etiquette. Definitely not something I know much about.

I guess what I'm looking for is answers and opinions on it.

As you can tell this is a new blog, this post being the fifth so far. This blogging endeavor has been a success so far for me. Of course my definition of success may vary wildly from yours. But in less than a week here I've got a few followers, and a few people commenting on my drivel. And that's been a pleasant surprise.

While I'm not obsessed with getting traffic here I do want to get some regular readers. Another thing I've found is a number of great blogs to read myself. (That's where the question on etiquette is going to come into play, if I ever get around to actually asking about it.)

I started looking for blogs to read by using the "Next Blog" tab. While I did find a couple of blogs I liked I also found that this was not a very efficient way to find blogs that interested me. So I went back to the blogs I liked and saw they were getting regular comments from people. And so I followed those people back to their blogs and found more blogs to read that I like.

So here I am finally getting to the question I have. I've added people to my blog roll when I've found I want to keep reading them. The question I have is should permission be asked of them to do this? (I know, I know, this is kind of like putting the cart in front of the horse since I've already got a blog roll formed.) But hey, if the normal procedure is to ask first before adding them to a blog roll I'm up for it from this point on.

19 comments:

Laura H said...

Not at all! we all love free links, I would find it a bit strange if anyone took issue with it.
Great posts so far!

Just Plain Tired said...

Laura -- Thanks for the comment. I didn't think people would mind but I let an overactive mind ponder it, then convince me maybe I should check on it.

JustRex said...

If we didn't want people to read our drivel, then we wouldn't be blogging in the first place. None of us want to admit it publicly, but it is kind of an ego trip. Sssh! Don't tell anyone! Keep writing!

Corinne said...

I don't think asking for link permission is neccessary, anyone who writes a blog would be chuffed that their ramblings are being read I think!
Looking forward to reading more posts!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment!

It is great to link to other blogs, no need to ask for permission.

Welcome to blogland!!

Just Plain Tired said...

darev2005 -- No doubt there's some ego involved. :)

Corinne -- Thanks for the input, and I plan on updating faithfully. Just not sure of a schedule yet, or how often.

Just Plain Tired said...

Charmed -- Thanks for the comment and welcome! I'll stick around for awhile here... and stuff. :)

Just Plain Tired said...

Another question -- safe to assume the same thought process when it comes to following blogs as well?

Anita said...

All of that takes me back to when I first started blogging. :)

Another methiod I discovered to find interesting blogs is to go to http://blogsearch.google.com and search on any subject that interest you.

Good luck!

Oh, thanks for visiting my blog!

Ileana said...

Like Sinatra, I tend to do things my way and so far I haven't received much hate mail. I sincerely doubt you'll offend anyone by adding them to your blogroll; quite the opposite, I think it's a wonderful compliment.

Just Plain Tired said...

Anita -- Thanks for dropping in -- and the link. I'll have to check that out.

Scarlet -- It looks like that is everyone's opinion so far, tanks for stopping in.

Sparkling Red said...

I'm always thrilled to be added to a blogroll. It's a compliment!
This is my first visis there, and I've just read "What You'll Find Here". I must say, I agree with you that our (North American) culture has gone down the tubes. Canada's not much better.

Mustang Sally said...

I'm fairly new to blogging myself, but not to the internet, and the one thing I'm sure of is that if you had offended anyone in the slightest way you would have heard about it six times from Sunday LOL

I have a question for you though. Does that blogroll gadget just automatically list everybody you're following or do you just add those you want to highlight to it? Been going to add that to my blog but haven't gotten around to it yet.

My method for finding blogs to read has been the same as yours. In addition I've found the Blogs of Note thing helpful too.

Just Plain Tired said...

Sparkling Red -- Thanks for dropping in. I figure I'll probably do a lot of ranting in here, hopefully with a little humor at times.

Mustang Sally -- How true about the internet and people's ability to let you know what offends them. ;)

As far as the blogroll gadget you have to actually add them yourself. Followers are a separate feature from that.

gaijinwife said...

blog hopping here from 'always leaving things unfinished'. Ditto ditto and ditto to all of the above. A blogroll is whatever you fancy and I would think nobody would care being listed without permission. Followers is one of the things blogspot has over wordpress. I had to change to wordpress as I was offending my family and needed to password protect some posts. I lost all my followers :( - well, I lost their little faces on my side bar anyway. Good luck with the new blog.

Just Plain Tired said...

gaijinwife -- I like the follower feature myself. Thanks for popping in as well. Hope to see you in here again in the future.

Jules AF said...

Check out google reader. It's available if you have a gmail account. You can search recommended blogs and find ones that are like the ones you're already subscribed to.

Just Plain Tired said...

The Boob Nazi -- Thanks for the tip. I'll be checking into that.

Gail said...

There are no rules, except like the ones in the general world. Be kind and if you can't be nice in your compliments, make sure it is well written.

Find your bloggers where you may.

Only rule I follow is: If I enjoy what I read, I follow. It matters not, where, how or why you found them.