Friday, September 17, 2010

A High Compliment Indeed

It's not often the mother of my two kids pays me a compliment.

After all, we've been divorced for several years.

But we've been thrust together this past summer several times helping our daughter deal with a couple of life changing events and decisions. (Well, not physically thrust together mind you. We're cordial, and I must say when it has come to our kids we've managed to be pretty much on the same page, but definitely not thrust against one another.)

But a true compliment was inadvertently overheard.

Mom to 21-year-old daughter: "Gee Ashlyn, why can't you learn how to cook? Even your father knows how to cook!"

Well, some of you may think she was simply hungry.

Oh. Ye. Of. Little. Faith.

It was a compliment, I refuse to interpret it any other way. So there.

12 comments:

gaijinwife said...

That is so a compliment. Don't you even think about taking that any other way. Take em when you can.

So what can you cook?

Just Plain Tired said...

gaijinwife -- There's quite a bit I can whip up in the kitchen. But in saying that, I don't cook as much now due to the kids being grown up and pretty much out on their own. Cooking for one makes it a little harder.

Ileana said...

Ha! If she would've just left off the word "even" it would've been an even bigger compliment. ;)

PS - So...whatcha got cookin' this weekend?

JustRex said...

I learned to cook out of self defense when I was younger. I'm no chef, but I can make a few edible things. At least you and the ex can be cordial. The last time I remember running into one of mine she threw a beer bottle at me. Am I really that horrible? Yeah, probably.

Just Plain Tired said...

Scarlet -- Yeah the word "even" made it a subdued compliment. Not much cooking this weekend here, work both days.

darev2005 -- Yeah, it was either learn to cook or go hungry. ;) Hopefully the beer bottle missed?

Jessica B said...

LOL -- I would take it as a compliment! ps - the picture of your grandbaby is beautiful. :)

Just Plain Tired said...

Jessica -- lol -- and the granddaughter is awesome. I've embraced grandparenting (olditude) happily.

Sandra said...

Well then you should take that compliment and run with it! I'm still laughing. Great post!
Thanks for coming over to my blog. I'm your newest follower and look forward to reading more...I'm actually off to do so now.

Just Plain Tired said...

Sandra -- Thanks! I'm pleased you liked it.

Sparkling Red said...

Where I come from we call that kind of thing a Backhanded Compliment. It manages to be flattering and yet somewhat insulting at the same time.

Just Plain Tired said...

Sparkling Red -- Sure, sure, come in here and rain on my parade, and stuff. (just kidding)

Gail said...

WE have to find our pleasure in the small things!

This is a great compliment!