Tuesday, September 28, 2010

You Got It Wrong Albert, You Are A Slave

Albert Haynesworth is a professional football player for the Washington Redskins, and a slave.

Yes, I'm calling this black man a slave.

A slave of ignorance and self entitlement.

A little background here. Albert signed a contract to play football for the Redskins in 2009. It's a contract for a seven year period to the tune of $100 million dollars. To date he's been paid approximately $32 million dollars.

(As an aside, the point of this post isn't about the dollar amount he's being paid. More power to him for getting this dollar amount out of a stupid owner of this team. He's damn lucky I'm not the owner, nor am I a fawning fan of professional athletes, or any type of celebrity for that matter. But that's a different slant/topic for perhaps another day.)

So what does Albert do with this generous contract? He skips work, as in mandatory workouts. He showed up for training camp fat and out of shape. And now that the season has started, his play isn't worthy of minimum pay. He apparently can't understand why the Redskins are upset with him. He's upset that new "management", as in a new coach, has installed a new defensive scheme. One he doesn't like, nor wants to participate in.

He did a radio interview last Friday and here's what he said:


“I guess in this world we don’t have a lot of people with, like, backbones,” Haynesworth said. “Just because somebody pay you money don’t mean they’ll make you do whatever they want or whatever. I mean, does that mean everything is for sale?

“I mean, I’m not for sale. Yeah, I signed the contract and got paid a lot of money, but … that don’t mean I’m for sale or a slave or whatever.”
And no, grammar isn't his strong suit.
What Albert fails to realize is that he's paid to do a job and regardless of the amount of money involved, to the best of his ability. The Redskins are an enterprise just like many others who change management and directions to achieve success and profitability. This is a common practice in the real world of employment Albert. Management dictates the direction the company is going, employees work to achieve that.
And yes Albert, many companies make mistakes in the direction taken. But it's their company, and their money at stake, not yours. And you do have options Albert, just like any other employee who isn't happy with their job. No one is forcing you to do something you find repugnant. Unlike a true slave, you can quit. Actually Albert you have already quit, you just haven't left the company, so to speak.
Seriously Albert, as a $100 million dollar wage earner, you feel you're a slave? Just because you're asked to perform your job the way management wants, rather than the way you want? Welcome to the real world Albert. Every job I've had is one I liked over all. Every job involved doing a few things I didn't care for as well. 
That's life Albert. I'd suggest using a slice of your contract money to get an education. Then perhaps some day you'll be able to break the bond of slavery you inhabit. That being a slave to ignorance and self entitlement. Putting it simply Albert, get a effin clue.

21 comments:

Just Plain Tired said...

gaijinwife -- Same here. But the owner/management of this team is clueless.

Gail said...

Well said!!

Just Plain Tired said...

Gail -- Thanks!

ChiTown Girl said...

Ok, since I'm not a football fan, I don't have a clue who this guy is, and didn't know about any of this. However, that being said, I do know this - Albert is a total assbag!!

He probably makes more per game than I make in OVER a year, and he has the nerve to NOT DO HIS JOB!?

Here's an idea - he can pay me to be his personal tutor, so maybe he can get a grasp on the English language, among other things in the real world.

Nah, now that I think about it, I'm not interested.

Just Plain Tired said...

ChiTown Girl -- It's awfully ironic that a man who earns that much money can compare himself to a slave. Can you say out of touch with reality? ;)

KLZ said...

There are a lot of morons out there, no? What's going to be tough is when he blows all that money and ends up needing an actual job.

Just Plain Tired said...

KLZ -- That happens to the tune of over 60% of millionaire athletes. They make millions during their playing career, spend it foolishly, and end up broke.

JustRex said...

For a 100 mil I would put up with a lot of crap. Hell I get physical and emotional and verbal abuse and have bodily fluids thrown on me for less than most states pay in minimum wage. For a 100 million I would become a damn superhero.

Just Plain Tired said...

darev2005 -- You and me both! But then we live and breathe in the real world, unlike this spoiled mega-rich, self-entitled professional athlete.

Jessica B said...

Well said JPT!

Just Plain Tired said...

Jessica B -- Thanks!

Charlene said...

...and as you leave Albert and the door hits you in the ass, be sure to pay your taxes on that $32 million. We can ue the money in America.

Sparkling Red said...

It's amazing how many people exist who don't believe there is any logical requirement to work once you have a job. I see it all the time, just never yet in someone so well-paid.

Just Plain Tired said...

Charlene -- True that. :)

Sparkling Red -- They're everywhere I'd imagine sadly.

Ileana said...

That's why it's a job and he gets paid for it (too well, I might add.) It's not ALL going to be fun and games. You're right, he needs to buy himself a clue (and a speech therapist wouldn't hurt).

Anita said...

As a Virginian and someone who has also lived in Maryland, I used to love the Redskins. Having three children sort of curbed that entertainment, though.

I don't know who Albert is, but I understand football enthusiam and fan expectations. I'm sorry he's a disappointment and displaying quite a lot of arrogance. Unfortunately, he's not the first, and he won't be the last.

I would separate the grammar issue, because (my opinion) he is a descendant of real slaves and a lot of my "cousins" still suffer from the after effects; it just hasn't clicked yet that it is possible to ditch the ebonics and or improper English.

Thanks for the laugh over on my post today. :)

Mustang Sally said...

Okay, forget about the grammar. Let's just take a look at plain simple English.

Job = The person who signs your paycheck gets to tell you what to do ... and how to do it.

Contract= you agreed to do it when you signed it

No, you're not for sale ... you are bought and paid for BY YOUR CHOICE so slavery has nothing to do with it.

What rock do these people crawl out from under?

middle child said...

OMG! How could I not follow this blog? Just plain tired describes me to a T. And I do the hurry up and get all the necessary things done so I can 'rest'. I am just plain tired every moment of everyday, week, month, year. I am thrilled to find out I am not the only one. Thanks.

Jane said...

Sounds he needs to learn a little about self-responsibility.

Jane

Just Plain Tired said...

Scarlet -- I think we're on the same page here. ;)

Anita -- I suspect there will be many more acting like him. Latrell Sprewell comes to mind from a few years ago actually.

Mustang Sally -- It would be nice to find that rock, and hide it, huh? ;)

middle child -- Glad you like it here. I hope to see you pop in again! :)

Jane -- Definitely.

Sarahf said...

He sounds like he'd be a great friend of the England football team (or should I say soccer). They're all lazy arses too. At least when it comes to work, for the ladies (I use the term loosely, so to speak), they have ample energy. Yes, Wayne Rooney and Ashley Cole, I mean you.