Monday, September 13, 2010

Debut Of The Worthless Co-Worker

They are everywhere. Every company has anywhere from one to a multitude of workers who are basically worthless. They either whine, are selfish, or filled with self importance, feel underpaid/under appreciated, lazy, untrustworthy, undependable, always sick, and/or out of touch with reality.

I work with one who exhibits the vast majority of the items listed. While you may say hey -- it's just one employee, she comprises one-third of the workforce here.

If you take note of the word "Debut" in the title of the post you may have gotten an inkling already that she'll be a topic in future posts here. (Honestly, she could be the sole topic for a blog on its own.)

While I still consider her a kid, she's actually 30 years old. I used to consider her simply as mildly amusing and irritating with her actions and thought process. (And I'm using the term "thought" process here very loosely.)

Her latest problem, or issue if you will, is the fact that we don't have access to the internet at work. Oh. The. Horror!

When I asked her how having this coveted access would help her to do her job her well thought response was "Huh?"

So I patiently asked the question again.

I'm sure you've already guessed that her need of the internet has nothing to do with her job. Why no, she needs this access for shopping purposes, personal email checking, messaging friends/family, and Facebook connections.

Of course I let her know I was 100% behind her on this issue. I even told her I couldn't possibly see how having access to the internet would make her even less productive than she already is. She didn't note the sarcasm. This statement went so far over her head that the military would have to shoot it down before it left Earth's atmosphere. Seriously dumb girl.

She asked me if I'd go with her this week when she approached the boss with a request for internet access. Being the nice guy that I am, I said "I sure will, and will tell him the exact reason I think it's a good idea that I just told you as well. I can't see how less unproductive you could be anyway."

Being the mental giant that she is, her reply was "That's great!"

It certainly is.

7 comments:

JustRex said...

Unfortunately, we at the prison are chock full of such mental giants. I think of them as "filler". Like soybeans in the hamburger. There are places in the prison that have to be manned 24/7 no matter what happens. We tend to shuffle these mostly useless folk into these spots so the rest of us can get our work done. On the rare occasion when one of the duds gets an important job, they tend not to last too long. They either move or get promoted. Either way, it gets them out of the way of those of us who do the real work.

Just Plain Tired said...

darev2005 -- Oh no, Now you've got me thinking of the possibility (as remote as it is) that she could be promoted and be my boss. ;)

Charlie Adley said...

Nice ranting, smooth syntax, dry anger - keep up the good words Tired one!

Just Plain Tired said...

Charlie -- Thanks! This girl is lucky I'm not her boos, or her parent. I will confess there are humorous moments in dealing with inane actions and comments. :)

Mustang Sally said...

It used to really get to me to have to work with this type. Somewhere along the way I finally figured out that they get paid the same amount of money I do and they don't due half the work ... so who's the smart one really?

The one benefit I've found is that with very little thought I can say exactly what I think about their laziness or incompetence in such a way that they THINK I'm being nice rather than snarky ... like your girl here. There's no end to the amusement I get from that LOL.

Just Plain Tired said...

Mustang Sally -- About the only consolation is the ability to snark on her and her being totally unaware of it. ;)

Mrs Midnite said...

I am slightly worried that I may be that worker in my department :0(