Monday, September 20, 2010

So I Can Count

Honestly, having the ability to count past ten, without removing my shoes to do so, has turned into a huge employment disadvantage to me.

It takes a scheduled day off and turns it into a day of work, albeit a short day.

We are required to do an inventory twice a year. Another requirement is that said inventory process start at 6:00 a-effin-m in the morning. This ensures said inventory is completed prior to the store opening of 10:00 am.

Of course I'm scheduled off today, and as you've probably already guessed, today was inventory day.

There are two things which are annoying about inventory. One being the start time of 6:00 a-effin-m. We open at 10:00 am and inventory takes all of 45 minutes, and that's at a leisurely pace. I'm getting up at 5:00 a-double-effin-m to do this. My total drive time is equal to the amount of time spent counting shit. We could start this process two hours later, or more, and still have ample time to complete this before store opening.

The other annoying thing has to do with worthless co-worker who never, ever, has to be involved in this process. When I asked the boss why he never has her help him with inventory his reply was "You know Alicia cannot count past ten without removing her shoes and relying on her toes to get to twenty. Hell, if she lost a finger she'd never accomplish counting to ten again. Plus, she has trouble in getting to work on time as it is, do you honestly think she could get here at 6:00 am?"

My reply, "Why is she still employed here then?

His reply... was nothing, just a deer in the headlights look back at me.

Whoever came up with the saying "Silence is Golden" is certainly no friend of mine today.

9 comments:

Rick Watson said...

There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those that can count,
and those that can't.

Can you guess which group I fall in to?
Rick

Ileana said...

Inventory sounds like a 6:00 a-effin-m in the morning nightmare!

"Why is she still employed here then?" (I love that you asked that.) He obviously didn't see that one coming. :)

ChiTown Girl said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere. I love that I was able to read your entire archives in about 10 minutes. ;-) Look forward to reading more.

Just Plain Tired said...

Life 101 -- lol, I think I can hazard a guess. ;)

Scarlet -- Oh, I'm sure he saw it coming, I've never been too shy and he's used to hearing me blurt out what I'm thinking. He's a nice guy, but too nice for his position as a manager though.

ChiTown Girl -- Thanks for stopping by, much appreciated. I plan on filling this thing up with wordy nonsense for awhile.

Charlene said...

Tired, I think it's time for you to quit this effin job and open up a business of your own. Don't get into selling anything because then you'd be stuck with inventory again! You would be able to start it when you want though. Also, you'd be able to only hire people who were as dependable as you are and experience the joy of being a boss. SMILE

Just Plain Tired said...

Charlene -- I had the "joy" of being a boss for over 14 years in a previous job/industry. Now I'm content in doing my job, as well as possible, and going home with less headaches. ;)

JustRex said...

Most of my employers have learned to just ignore me when I start making sense. Sometimes I just can't help it. Kind of a form of tourettes, I imagine.

Just Plain Tired said...

darev2005 -- I've experienced that ignored feeling myself. :)

Mustang Sally said...

It's SO unfair when we are punished for doing things right, but it happens all the time in the workforce.

Wishing you peace,
Sally