I know most people would be pleasantly surprised to wake up on a Friday morning to an indoor pool. But in this case, not me.
My hot water heater died yesterday. If it had just simply expired quietly I would have been much happier. But no, it had to burst in its death throes.
While some people would have thought there was some measure of luck in actually being home when this occurred, there really wasn't much advantage to that. I quickly found the shut off valve and shut down the water flow immediately. Or so I thought.
But no, said valve was broken, and the water gushed and flowed gleefully from one room to the next, and the next, and the..... You get the picture.
So then I burst into the hall of the apartment building, looking very fashionable in boxers and a ratty t-shirt, to hunt down another shut off valve. For you see I know they're located above the ceiling tiles in the hallway. I think I shut down about 6 valves before finding the one that actually leads to my apartment. Silly me, for thinking the nearest one ran to my apartment, that would make too much sense. So 3/4 of the building was without water for awhile.
(As you can imagine, I was a hit with the other tenants yesterday.)
So Service Master was summoned and clean up has commenced. While my apartment is rather spacious, the addition of three industrial size humidifiers and six hurricane fans have shrunk the place. And yes, I have hurricane force winds circulating through the place.
On a positive note, all carpeting and flooring is going to be replaced due to this untimely death of the hot water heater.
On a negative note, all carpeting and flooring is going to be replaced due to this untimely death of the hot water heater.
This means much packing and shifting of crap in my place over the next few days. And I've got to work in going to work as well.
Isn't life grand?