Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Let's Lighten It Up A Bit In Here

Fairly new blog here -- check.

A few rant type posts -- check.

Time for a change of pace -- check.

A thought just occurred to me that I've once again failed to meet my mother's expectations. Oh, she's not around any more to make me aware of this though. She passed on almost 7 years ago.

But like every kid I knew, I heard the infamous line that went like this when I fell out of disfavor as a child:

"I hope you have kids just like you some day."

While I did fulfill part of the obligation to at least have the possibility of kids like me by producing one of each flavor they aren't and weren't "just like me." Now that they're young adults with one married with a family of his own, and the daughter is in the last year of college, it occurred to me that they've turned into pretty neat young adults.

Oh they aren't/weren't perfect kids. But they were pretty easy to raise and turned out well. I figure I just failed to pass on some type of devil gene that I possessed.

Oh well -- now I'll get to use that line myself with them. Only it'll be a positive remark rather than a negative one. Always a silver lining folks, always.

8 comments:

JustRex said...

Count yourself extremely lucky. Our little experiment in parenthood ended in total disaster. I'm still pulling shrapnel out of my hide.

Just Plain Tired said...

darev2005 -- No doubt, there was a lot of luck involved. Truthfully, I've got to give their mother a lot of credit for how they turned out.

berly02 said...

Oh I really hope mine end up with children like them. They are wonderful and horrifying all at the same time. Of course, they are only 3 and 2. . . .

Technodoll said...

Welcome to Blogland! Looking forward to reading more of your... adventures ;-)

Just Plain Tired said...

berly02 -- Kids definitely give you plenty of up and down moments. (More up moments are a plus.)

Technodoll -- Thanks! I'm sure I'll be posting more.

Ileana said...

I like how you turned a negative expression into a positive. You are blessed.

Anita said...

Another famous line: "JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE KIDS!"

I'm guilty of taking that one from my parents. :)

Just Plain Tired said...

Scarlet -- I'm not sure about being blessed, but I feel lucky when it comes to the kids. ;)

Anita -- Another variation of what I heard when I was a kid. ;)